Registering for this course
This course is available for £80 per person for individuals. To sign up and access immediately, please register an account using the "Register now" link below.
If you have already registered and would like to continue with your purchase, please click the "Continue with your purchase" link below.
If you are a member of an organisation and would like to arrange for bulk access for your members, please let us know through our contact form (linked below). A member of the team will be in touch to arrange this with you.
Course intended learning outcomes
This course aims to:
- Develop the learner's confidence and self-efficacy in the identification of athletes with potential eating problems
- Increase the learner's understanding of eating problems and how they can impact on athlete health and performance
- Develop the learner's awareness of the role of the sports professional in supporting athletes with eating problems
- Ensure that learners can identify and signpost athletes to relevant sources of support and are aware of return to play guidelines for athletes with eating problems.
- Enable learners to implement a range of strategies that promote a positive training environment.
Module 1 — What are eating disorders?
- Categories of eating disorders and their main characteristics
- An introduction to the eating spectrum
- The prevalence and potential causes of eating problems in athletes.
Module 2 — Identifying disordered eating
- Consequences of disordered eating for athletes
- Behavioural and psychological symptoms of disordered eating among athletes
- Challenges of identifying disordered eating among athletes
Module 3 — Approaching an athlete
- Responses to disordered eating in athletes
- Conversation starters
- Challenges in approaching athletes with disordered eating
Module 4 — Referral, seeking support and return to play
- Referral processes and sources of support
- Encouraging engagement with treatment
- Return to play guidance
Module 5 — Top tips: Advice for sports professionals
- Creating and maintaining positive training environments
Assessment and certificate
- Once you have completed the final assessment tasks in module 5, you will be able to complete some final reflective questions about your learning from the course. You can then claim your certificate from this section
- You can also access the key course resources here
The course is delivered through an online virtual learning environment, which is intuitive and easy to navigate. It can be completed on a phone, tablet, laptop or computer device. Guidance is provided to learners on how to use the system prior to embarking on the course.
Users can liaise with the course leader for queries about the course content, and feedback on reflective tasks is available.
Learners are signposted towards a range of resources both within and external to the online course to supplement their learning.
The course is split into five modules, each of which builds on the last to give you a holistic view of what disordered eating and eating disorders are and how to approach an athlete who you may have concerns about. This course is CPD UK accredited and, as such, you will receive a CPD UK certificate upon completion. Purchasing this training will also give you access to all of its resources for one year from the date of purchase.
Please note that at this time we are only able to accept payment for this course from residents of the UK.
The NCSEM is a Training Provider for the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).
CIMSPA is the professional development body for the UK's sport and physical activity sector, committed to supporting, developing and enabling professionals and organisations to succeed and, as a result, inspire our nation to become more active. Their purpose is to shape a respected, regulated and recognised sector that everyone wants to be a part of, and that others are confident interacting with. CIMSPA is a registered charity, incorporated by Royal Charter.
This course has been reviewed and endorsed by CIMSPA and is worth 2.5 CIMSPA CPD points.
For more information about CISMPA and endorsement, click the links below.